.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I feel it...it's almost camp time!

I feel the pulse moving through me just a little faster right now. It's late July and the Lions report to training camp on Friday!!!

This season feels so good right now, so right. I know from past experience that I'm often blinding by the excitement of the present, but damn this season feels like we might just have gotten one right.

The exits have been awesome, first Millen, then Roy, then we replace Paris Lenon with Larry Foote, and pickup Julian Peterson, secondary help, depth on the O-line, and a bunch of quick recievers to take advantage of Calvin's constant double teams.

Also, Brandon Pettigrew and Louis Delmas are ready to make instant impacts as rookies. We're out of the cover 2, which will give Delmas some freedom to roam and take some heads off, and Pettigrew will be a new prototype tight end. A tall and bulky tight end with great hands and is an effective blocker.

If you were a defensive coordinator, how would you match up against Pettigrew, Fitzsimmons, CJ, Bryant Johnson, and Smith? Play the run, and you've got an able group of pass catchers...play in a nickel, and we'll run you over. Pettigrew is an incredible 2-way threat and will create some mismatches.

I'm not thinking the Lions are a juggernaut just yet...but we have made some moves that make sense instead of getting rid of players that just weren't the problem (remember Millen jettisoned Johnny Morton and Herman Moore for Hakim and Schroeder?)

Our most glaring need was linebacker and offensive line. These positions were abysmal last year. That is why we were 0-16.

Ernie Sims has been having to make every tackle the last 2 years, and thus has not blitzed often...if ever. Finally, we've got rid of some liabilities at MLB and SLB and replaced them with reliable veterans, thus allowing the missile from Florida State off his chain. NFC North QB's be warned, a blind shot will be quite painful if Sims gets free.

The O-line should have been address with the #1 pick, but I can't argue with the logic that if you're a first year GM and a first year head coach, you take a franchise QB #1 if he's there.

We did bring in some depth to compete with Peterman and Cherilus on the right side. Jon Jansen is one of the greats, and if we can squeeze a few years out of him at close to the level he's played for his career...he might be the lucky deal of free agency (being a hometown probably also played a part). Fonoti is a journeyman, but should push Peterman for some playing time, and eventually his job.

As for Matthew Stafford...I truly hope I don't see him throw a pass for the Lions this year. I have heard some rumblings that he is on track to win the starting job from Duante by week 1...so that either means that Culpepper is not back to his old form even after an offseason of work (we're screwed) or that Stafford has truly broken out and plays better than Culpepper. I hope the latter.

Stafford certainly has the physical tools to be a great NFL quarterback, this is without a doubt. Some quarterbacks have questionable accuracy, or velocity, but Stafford is not one of those. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean he'll be successful, or Ryan Leaf would be at the helm of the San Diego Chargers, instead of working on his legal defense for slinging oxycotin pills (did you hear about this one???) The point is, if Stafford's head works like an NFL QB should, then we will have finally replaced Bobby Layne (and with a guy from the same high school as Layne no less).

Arrgh...the pulse is quickening...I'll admit to being one of the only people excited for NFL preseason. I hate the fact that they make me pay full price for a ticket, but I still love going to the games. When I was younger, preseason seats were the only one's I could get my hands on, so I went to nearly every game.

A little over a month, and we'll be talking about the first regular season game...I'm so pumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment